The Dead of Jericho by Colin Dexter
001. …he’d come round to the view that Freud would have been a far more valuable citizen if he’d stuck to his research on local anaesthetics.
Depths by Henning Mankell
001. 52: Tobiasson-Svartman was always nervous when required to address a crew. To conceal his unease, he came across s strict and liable to lose his temper.
002. 125: She expressed herself clearly, as only people who talk a lot to themselves can.
003. 216: His father had once spoken to guests at dinner about the importance of people learning at act like snakes. Cold blood, endless patience and poisonous fangs that struck at exactly the right instant.
004. Human beings worked constantly to make their gods unnecessary. He was an individual who made scientific measurements: one day time and perhaps also space would be measured and controlled by scales of measurements hitherto unknown. The supernatural was shadows dancing in the remains of a childhood fear of the dead.
005. It was as if he had some kind of invisible seal that made him inaccessible to everybody apart from himself. The surface was calm, like a sea when there is no wind blowing, but underneath it lurked all the duplicitous forces he was forced to fight against. Ambition, insecurity, the memory of his furious father and the silent weeping of his mother. He lived through constant battle between control, calculation and outrageous risk-taking. He did not do what other people do and adapt to different situations, but he changed his personality, became somebody else, often without being aware of the face.
006. I know how to set up a lie, he thought. But I cannot cope with living in the world that lies create. The impostor lives a life, but the deceit involved lives a different life.
Diary of a Seducer by Kierkegaard
001. Lost to others, they sought in vain to find themselves. – Kierkegaard, Diary of a Seducer
002. Cordelia occupies me almost too much. I again lose my balance, not in her presence, not when she is present, but when in the strictest sense when I am alone with her.